Job Title: Facilities Management
Hours: On-call basis/10-15 hours per week
Schedule: Flexible (mornings + weekends)
Reports To: General Manager
Who We Are (and why we’re great!)
The Victoria Multicultural Society operates the Victoria Event Centre (VEC), located in downtown Victoria, Lkwungen Territory. Opening its doors in 2003, the VEC has quickly become a favourite venue for emerging artists and local community organizers. We aim to provide an affordable, flexible and accommodating multi-purpose venue to produce cultural events, fundraisers and community celebrations. This organization is also affiliated with other local co-ops and nonprofits such as Island Solidarity Community Cooperative, Community
Action Bus, Retail Action Network and Social Coast.
- Supportive of local arts and culture
- Freedom of Creative Expression
- Excellent Customer Service
- Working alongside some fun, creative and energetic folks in the community!
- VIP access to some of our events for you and a friend!
- Drinks are on us while on duty (non-alcoholic drinks of course)
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate individual needs
- Opportunities for growth and skill development across organizations
- Access to paid sick days for all
The COVID-19 situation has impacted the activities of our organization since we cannot present live music events/gatherings above 50 people for the foreseeable future. However, during this period we are exploring digital strategies for staying safely connected and expanding our community through social media and live streaming. We will also be experimenting with small gatherings by following our covid safety plan and taking those extra steps to ensure our workers and community are feeling safe and comfortable during these times.
We are seeking an experienced Facilities Management person to oversee all caretaking actions of the venue space. They will be responsible for preserving, and improving, the condition of the venue and ensuring that facilities are safe, clean and well functioning. The goal is to ensure our organization is ready and safe so that employees and community members can utilize the space under the best conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- General cleaning of the venue (with special attention to Covid-19 cleaning protocols) including sweeping and mopping of the floors/stairs, cleaning and stocking restrooms, collecting and disposing of trash
- Set up tables and chairs according to venue floor model
- Perform minor repairs as needed throughout the space
- Work with management to keep an active list of maintenance needs
- Complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Responsible for ordering cleaning supplies, maintaining inventory, and work to find environmentally friendly alternatives
- Additional job duties may be required to meet organizational needs and to ensure the delivery of comfort and hospitality to guests at the VEC
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic maintenance, building repairs and cleaning standards
- Knowledge of safe work practices (lifting safely, wearing slip resistant footwear, safely handling cleaning products…etc.)
- Strong attention to detail to keep the venue presentable
- Works well independently with strong time management skills in order to meet event deadlines with little or no supervision
- Ability to move, lift or carry objects up to 55 pounds without assistance
- Ability to travel up and down stairways
- Familiarity with basics of plumbing and carpentry an asset
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 1 year experience with janitorial work, facilities maintenance or similar
- Current BC WHMIS certification (or in progress)
- Fluency in written and oral English language
As a successful candidate, you must be detail-oriented with the ability to work well under pressure. In addition, you are self-motivated and flexible with scheduling to accommodate the space’s needs. You will have some level of relative experience and display a positive attitude to help create a hospitable environment. For instance, strong interpersonal skills will be an asset when sharing the space with others while on duty, such as VEC staff, volunteers and event organizers. When it comes to scheduling, we want someone who can be dependable to look after the venue post-events. Shifts will aim to be as consistent as possible, often scheduled in the morning between 7am and 12pm. If you would like to be a part of a unique innovative organization, we want to hear from you!
To apply, please introduce yourself by emailing your resume and/or cover letter in a single pdf format to email@example.com. We will accept applications on an ongoing basis until this position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The VEC is committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. We welcome and value the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourage everyone to apply. Thank you kindly for your application and your interest in this position. We look forward to hearing from you!