Job title: Event Producer
Status: Temporary Contract (280 hours)
Hours: Full-time (35-40 hours per week)
Schedule: Daytime and Weekends (during events)
Reports To: General Manager
This a short-term contract funded position through the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) Program. The CSJ Program creates employment opportunities for youth, therefore the successful applicant must be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment.
Who We Are (and why we’re great!)
The Victoria Multicultural Society operates the Victoria Event Centre (VEC), located in downtown Victoria, Lkwungen Territory. Opening its doors in 2003, the VEC has quickly become a favourite venue for emerging artists and local community organizers. We aim to provide an affordable, flexible and accommodating multi-purpose venue to produce cultural events, fundraisers and community celebrations. This organization is also affiliated with other local co-ops and nonprofits such as Island Solidarity Community Cooperative, Community
Action Bus, Retail Action Network and Social Coast.
- Supportive of local arts and culture
- Freedom of Creative Expression
- Excellent Customer Service
- Working alongside some fun, creative and energetic folks in the community!
- VIP access to some of our events for you and a friend!
- Drinks are on us while on duty (non-alcoholic drinks of course)
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate individual needs
- Opportunities for growth and skill development across organizations
- Access to paid sick days for all
The COVID-19 situation has impacted the activities of our organization since we cannot present live music events/gatherings above 50 people for the foreseeable future. However, during this period we are exploring digital strategies for staying safely connected and expanding our community through social media and live streaming. We will also be experimenting with small gatherings by following our covid safety plan and taking those extra steps to ensure our workers and community are feeling safe and comfortable during these times.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Event Producer to curate and organize upcoming events that will bring people into the Victoria Event Centre (VEC). Working with the VEC team, the Event Producer will be responsible for specific special events that take place. This is an
exciting, yet challenging, time for live performance in the city. The Event Producer will have the support of a dedicated and professional team to ensure the success of events.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Event production activities including: creating relationships with performers and
booking performers, managing event logistics, and curating events;
● Implementing a communications strategy for events including the design of
promotional materials, social media and advertising; and other outreach activities;
● Perform administrative activities such as setting up ticket sales and online events;
● Support the set up and logistics for specific events;
● Document and review financial viability of events, and seek sponsorships;
● Build online audience engagement around events;
● Supervise box office during specific office hours and act as the host of the venue;
● Complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision;
● Support the fundraising activities and campaigns of the VEC;
● Additional job duties may be required to meet organizational needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Knowledge of local event productions, and /or involvement in an arts community
● Knowledge of safe work practices (lifting safely, wearing slip resistant footwear,
safely handling cleaning products…etc.);
● Strong attention to detail in regards to event logistics;
● Works well independently with strong time management skills in order to meet
event deadlines with little or no supervision;
● Ability to navigate online programs for ticket sales, and event logistics;
● Ability to move, lift or carry objects up to 55 pounds without assistance;
● Ability to travel up and down stairways
Qualifications & Experience
● Minimum of 1 year experience supporting the production and/or management of
events in a similar industry
● Must be between the ages of 15-30 (CSJ requirement)
● Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (hold permanent SIN)
● Current Serving It Right certification
● Fluency in written and oral English language
Qualifications & Experience
Minimum of 1 year experience supporting the production and/or management of events in a similar industry
Must be between the ages of 15-30 (CSJ requirement)
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (hold permanent SIN)
Current Serving It Right certification
Fluency in written and oral English language
As a successful candidate, you must be detail-oriented with the ability to work well under pressure. In addition, you are self-motivated and flexible with scheduling to accommodate the space’s needs. You will have some level of relative experience and display a positive attitude to help create a hospitable environment. For instance, strong interpersonal skills will be an asset when sharing the space with others while on duty, such as VEC staff, volunteers and event organizers. When it comes to scheduling, we want someone who can be dependable to supervise the venue, and be able to represent the VEC when greeting guests. Shifts will be a mix between daytime box office hours, and during evening event productions. If you would like to be a part of a unique innovative organization, we want to hear from you!
To apply, please introduce yourself by emailing your resume and/or cover letter in a single pdf format to email@example.com. We will accept applications on an ongoing basis until this position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The VEC is committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. We welcome and value the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourage everyone to apply. Thank you kindly for your application and your interest in this position. We look forward to hearing from you!